Most Common Washing Machine Problems and Their Solutions
Washing machines are considered as the most useful and reliable among all household appliances. They make our lives easier by simplifying laundry and letting us use all fresh, neat, and well-smelling clothes.
Now, having a washing machine is a common thing in the modern world, and so are the washing machine problems. How many times has your machine stopped functioning, leaving you with a big pile of dirty clothes and a need to call a repairman? If this happens a lot, maybe you should learn how your machine works and how you can fix it yourself in case of an unexpected halt.
In this blog, we will be focusing on the most commonly diagnosed washing machine troubles and their quick fix – these will help you to help you take care of your machine better. Let’s get started.
Most common washing machine problems and how to handle them
Washing machine does not function
If the washer does not run or start, the first thing you need to do is to check your power cord.
You may have forgotten to plug in or switch it on, or maybe your power cord has gotten damaged or overheated. If the washer gets overheated, immediately shut it off and let it cool for around thirty minutes and then start the machine again.
Washing machine does not spin
The most common reason why your washing machine does not spin is the unbalanced load of clothes. For this, you need to check whether you have accidentally jammed and crammed all your clothes into the tub. Put the clothes again and try spinning it. Also, try removing some pieces of clothes which may prevent the washing machine from spinning properly.
Washing machine leaks
The leakage in the machines is probably because of the loose connection between the washer and the hoses. This means the actual problem could be with the drain hose or the hose needed to fill the tub with water.
It is good to check the hoses and tighten the connection. Also, you should check the pump for obstructions that hinder the free flow of water.
Washing machine does not drain
If your washing machine fails to drain, the most likely cause can be the unclean and clogged drain. So, it is better to clean the drain hose until it becomes free of dirt and anything that can clog it.
On removing the drain hose, put anything underneath it that can catch water from the inside. Also, check if the drive belt is loose. To fix it, you can loosen the motor mount bolt and pull it back to tighten the drive belt. On the contrary, the problem may arise due to the tight drain hose. Remember, a tight drain hose may block the needed air for water to drain, so adjust it a way that makes enough space for airflow.
You may also like our article on Best Front Load Washing Machines In India
Machine causes vibration and unexpected noise
Is your washing machine noisier than usual? This problem can be caused by bad bearings, belts, and may be due to the unbalanced load. To avoid this problem, you may need to replace these parts or check your clothes and balance them out. You might also use a sturdy platform in case you have uneven flooring. The even platform will balance out the washer drum.
The noisy washing machine may be related to a few different sources, some of them might indicate that your machine needs a repair or quick maintenance to avoid major damage.
If it is creating unnecessary noise during the spin cycle, it gives a clear indication that the main seal and bearing are bad. This issue should be fixed immediately, otherwise, water leakage can damage the motor and rotor positioning sensor.
You may experience banging sound which is usually related to the drain hose, inlet hose, main leas, or harness. This sound is not an indicator of a big problem but can be very annoying to you.
Washing machine motor damage
This is one of the most common washing machine problems.
Machine motor runs with the help of the AC induction motor and is used for driving the clothes in the washing machine that makes it run at a predetermined speed.
Usually, washing machine motors run out of order due to the high voltage electricity and overloading of clothes. Overloaded or unbalanced machines force the equipment to move swifter with a harder action and this leads to motor damage. In some cases, the belt of the washing machine causes the improper tumbling of the washer tub.
Also, the use of defective lids leads to the improper movement of the motor.
You may also like our article on Best Washing Machines In India
Some general tips on how to take care of your washing machine
- Fabric conditioner Don’t overburden your machine. Even if you have lots of clothes to wash, it does not make sense to wash them all at the same time. Instead, it is good to divide the clothes into batches and wash coloured clothes separately from white clothes to avoid discolouration.
- Try to wash shirts and other soft garments separately from pants and other heavier clothing. Remember, overloading your washer will ruin its rhythm and will put it out of balance. You will not be able to wash your clothes properly next time once this happens.
- Be careful while using detergents or harsh chemicals for washing clothes. Make sure not to spill fabric detergents, chemicals, or conditioner on the laundry appliance. These essential things may seem harmless but contain corrosive components that can ruin your machine in the long run. If by mistake this happens, be sure to clean your appliance right away before it corrodes your machine.
- In the majority of the cases, the residue of detergent and may be left behind even if you cannot see it.
To save yourself from paying repairs, it is good to clean it up by spinning water around the washer and draining it afterwards.
- Once you are done with washing your clothes and cleaning it all over, drain the water thoroughly. Leaving the water inside the washer will make you experience a musty smell. The next time when you will wash your clothes, the musty smell may stick to your clothes. Thus, it is required to wipe not only the tub of the washer but also the draining hose.
- Clean all the parts, specifically the filter to avoid potential washing machine problems. On using the appliance for quite a long time, you may notice the difference in the pressure of the water. This weak water pressure will not just waste your time but also wastewater, so we advise you to stay cautious.
The last and most important tip is to use your laundry appliance gently.
There is no need to worry about whether you use your machine properly. Read the manual and follow the instructions. By doing so, keeping your washing machine is in top condition will no longer be a difficult task for you. Remember, you deserve only the best working washing machines!
To find out the top-rated washing machines, visit us here.